A little tip when AG brewing. Wort chilling vs chill cube.

The more complicated side of home brew. Brewing your own beers from the raw ingredients.

A little tip when AG brewing. Wort chilling vs chill cube.

Postby Scott » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 7:58 pm

A year or 2 back I read this topic to the death. People who used wort chillers swore by them and people who used chill cubes said they did the job very well. In my experience this isn't the case and I've only got 1 brew to show for it so far.

I've made some cracking brews since turning over to the dark side, but not one has had any clarity at all. I always put this down to not enough Irish Moss, out of date Irish moss or perhaps just less effective Irish moss. My next step was to move over to protafloc tablets. A couple of months ago I bit the bullet and got myself a wort chiller, completely unrelated to my clarity woes. Low and behold it's only gone and been the cure to my muddy beer issues. This brew is a month or so old, including the lagering, so it's had a decent time to drop out, and it's certainly made the most of it.

Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking. I'm not 100% convinced yet but I'm going to leave the rest of my process as it is to see if the trend continues. Wort chilling for the win, for the moment :)

2014-11-06 19.44.10.jpg

2014-11-06 19.58.41.jpg

2014-11-06 19.58.52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider, Evil Dog IPA
Corny1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny3 - Peach & Passionfruit Cider
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV1 - Raspberry & Lime Cider
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT
Scott
Landlord

Re: A little tip when AG brewing. Wort chilling vs chill cub

Postby Lampie » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 1:48 pm

I also read somewhere that sparging also had influence on the clarity of the beer. If i see some instructions they say to sparge the worth untill it becomes clear. I have thought about this and when you sparge the grains will be a sort of filter for the finer parts of the grains that usually go into your beer.

I have not tried to sparge the worth a few times untill it gets clear.. My main priority now is to brew a beer that tastes good and i will work on these details later :).
The Crazy Dutch Guy
You are allowed to copy my information but please put a credit and a link to this forum.
Lampie
Hoptastic

Return to AG Brewing Discussion