[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 487: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4795: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Simple HomeBrew • View topic - Cheap and yet accurate thermometer.

Cheap and yet accurate thermometer.

Recommendations, reviews and general information on the equipment used for making your own home brew.

Cheap and yet accurate thermometer.

Postby Scott » Tue 16 Sep, 2014 2:32 am

The thermometer I use has been bugging me for ages. Since the day I got it I knew that it wasn't reading properly (approx 1.5-2 degrees out). I was just about to buy another one when I noticed the one I had for sale in an ebay ad, it said in the ad that there was a calibration option.

So, I set about calibrating the unit and it's now absolutely spot on. There are two reasonable methods of calibration....

1 Use a calibration instrument. Unfortunately not a lot of people have access to these.
2 Calibrate it using ice and boiling water (this is the method I used, for now).

Amazingly I have the cheapest probe thermometer ever and it's actually accurate to +/- 0.1 degrees. This is the little blighter here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-KITCH ... 25725dfe34

The above, along with my newly calibrated thermometer set should see me in good stead for the future.

As we all love pictures I took some of me going through the process. It went as follows.....

Firstly pour some water into a jug. Add a couple of tsp of salt and then chuck in a load of ice. Stir for a few minutes to allow the ice to melt most of the way. This gives you a solution of water that's reasonably accurately 0 degrees. Give it a stir every now and again to maintain the temperature.

Pop your probe into the ice water and calibrate the temperature (I can help with this thermometer if anyone needs guidance).
2014-09-16 01.36.44.jpg

Next you continue on to the second temperature, 100 degrees (this gives the thermometer it's span).

2014-09-16 01.39.07.jpg

After this I checked the readings between the thermometers. They were within 0.2 degrees of each other, I was happy with that.

2014-09-16 01.36.58.jpg2014-09-16 01.37.47.jpg

And I checked the boiling water temperature too.

2014-09-16 01.40.14.jpg

I have the proper equipment to calibrate the thermometer accurately in work. I'll sort that out the next time I get a chance, that way I can compare how good my "knife and forking" method is compared to a proper calibration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider
Corny1 - Stepped BIAB Closch
Corny2 - Evil Dog Double IPA (Conditioning)
Corny3 - MT
Corny4 - MT
FV1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry (In secondary)
FV2 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry (Primary)
Scott
Landlord

Re: Cheap and yet accurate thermometer.

Postby Scott » Tue 16 Sep, 2014 2:36 am

Almost forgot, this is the thermometer I'm using here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Channel-D ... 2a3e7120a1
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider
Corny1 - Stepped BIAB Closch
Corny2 - Evil Dog Double IPA (Conditioning)
Corny3 - MT
Corny4 - MT
FV1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry (In secondary)
FV2 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry (Primary)
Scott
Landlord

Return to Brewing Equipment