Festival Razorback IPA Review

Tried a Kit? Fancy writing a little review for us all to let us know your thoughts on it?

Festival Razorback IPA Review

Postby Scott » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 8:15 pm

This kit has so much promise, I've actually held off posting this up due to wanting to see how it fermented etc.

Bought it from the-home-brew-shop.co.uk last week and got it on the go on Saturday. It's a fairly comprehensive kit. The ingredients are definitely all there and they seem to stack up exactly as they should with regards to starting gravity etc.

Here's the kit...

2016-06-11 12.39.31.jpg

3KG of LME
750g of Brewing sugar (650g pouch and a 100g pouch for bottling)
75g of pellet hops
10g IPA Yeast
1 syphon filter bag attachment (nice touch)

Kit was made pretty much exactly to the instructions. The only slight variations were that I added the whole sugar components to the boiling water to give it all a good mix, as I will be force carbonating rather than priming in the bottles and the fact I added a campden tablet to get rid of any chlorine in my tap water.

SG came out at 1.049/1.050... it was hard to get an exact reading on my refractometer. If the FG results are to be believed then that should put my beer right on the promised 5.7% ABV.

4 days in my gravity was reading approx 1.011 so I threw the hops in a day early as that should be plenty. Temps have been constantly between 20 and 22DegC so coming along nicely. The hops supplied with the kit smelled absolutely amazing. The fact that they are pellet hops, and 75g pack, should mean that they go a LONG way towards the flavour. Really substantial dry hop for a kit this.

Looking forward to the results. Everything is tasting and smelling amazing at the moment.... yes I may have had a drop out of my refractometer dropper :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider, Evil Dog IPA
Corny1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny3 - Peach & Passionfruit Cider
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV1 - Raspberry & Lime Cider
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT
Scott
Landlord

Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

Postby Scott » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 4:16 pm

Finished at 1.008, a little higher than expected.... happy enough at that though 5.5%. I didn't actually measure the OG using my hydrometer so I'm going to have to do some testing with the hydrometer vs the refractometer :)

It tastes amazing though!
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider, Evil Dog IPA
Corny1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny3 - Peach & Passionfruit Cider
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV1 - Raspberry & Lime Cider
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT