Mixed Berry On the Rocks kicked off! 1st brew

Discuss all things kit related, from Beer, Wine and Cider to Irish Cream... if it's in a kit, this is where to talk about it.

Mixed Berry On the Rocks kicked off! 1st brew

Postby Monkeyman » Fri 19 May, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I've taken the plunge and kicked off my 1st ever brew! I'm brewing On the Rocks mixed Berry cider based on Scott's recipe (cheers mate!) My only change is that i'm using Tesco blackcurrant and mixed berry drinks rather than Ribena. These may have a bit more apple in them so we'll see how that goes...

Lets hope July is going to be sunny so I can enjoy some cider in the sunshine :cheers:
Monkeyman
Brewbie

Re: Mixed Berry On the Rocks kicked off! 1st brew

Postby Scott » Sun 28 May, 2017 9:16 pm

How is it looking? All going to plan? :D
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider, Evil Dog IPA
Corny1 - Ritchies OTR Mixed Berry
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny3 - Peach & Passionfruit Cider
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV1 - Raspberry & Lime Cider
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT
Scott
Landlord

Postby Monkeyman » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Scott,

I think I'm going through the existential crisis that every noob brewer has :think:
I didn't take the OG because my hydrometer hadn't arrived yet so I've been beating myself up that I've created fruit juice ;-)

I did take the FG after the 10 day first fermentation and it was 1.000 as far as I could tell. I did get bubbling through the airlock for the first maybe 6 days and slower after that so i'm sure something was going on... I followed your recipe except I used Tesco juice drinks instead of Ribena so I think it should all have worked.

I reckon i'm just being a worry wort :D but only time will tell I guess. is there any other way I can tell?

I'll be bottling in a couple of days. I'm using 1L PET bottles and was planning on sticking 3 carbonation drops in each bottle instead of a priming bucket, any issues with this approach?

Thanks,
Peter
Monkeyman
Brewbie

Postby Scott » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 7:05 pm

3 carb drops should do the job nicely. The only thing to keep in mind is that you will need to give it a little rock for the first couple of days to get the sugar dissolved and evenly spread throughout the bottle. This is the reason priming is generally better.

An FG of 1.000 shows that it's definitely done the business. The OG would be around what my recipe said, it may be a couple of points different but there's no way that nothing has happened so it sounds like you're onto an absolute winner :)

Best of luck with it :D
Fridge - Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Cerveza, Wilkos Forest Fruit Cider, Evil Dog IPA
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT
Scott
Landlord

Postby Monkeyman » Thu 08 Jun, 2017 11:53 pm

I went with a sugar solution just to be on the safe side and am now the proud owner of 21 litre bottles :D thanks for the reassurance, all I need now is patience :cheers:
Monkeyman
Brewbie

Postby Monkeyman » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 7:50 pm

I ran out of patience :drink: and i'm delighted with the results! clear as a bell, tasty and quite a kick, thanks for your help Scott!!

Now my only peoblem is that i need to do is figure out what my next batch is going to be :D
Monkeyman
Brewbie

Postby Scott » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 9:08 pm

Aww that's great! It really does have a kick to it. Nice warm glow after 2 or 3 bottles :D

If you enjoyed it I would recommend the Pear Cider. That was really smooth and refreshing IMO. If it's a cider you fancy of course.

If it's a beer you fancy then I would go with Woodfordes Wherry or St Peter's Ruby Red Ale... never had a bad batch of those yet :D
Corny2 - American IPA
Corny4 - MT
Corny5 - MT
Corny6 - MT
Corny7 - MT
Corny8 - MT
FV2 - MT
FV3 - MT
FV4 - MT